Saturday, April 28, 2012

Posted by: Cheryl Wilson

After nearly 30 years I have learned how valuable keeping a journal really is. I have to admit, I haven't done it faithfully for  a couple of decades but now I know why the prophets say we should.

I was cleaning out my bookshelves yesterday, moving books around, taking some down to get rid of them; all part of my spring cleaning project.  I came across two journals from many years ago and decided to take a break and browse through them.  Two hours later I was still reading voraciously like this was the first time I had ever seen this stuff.  I found out things about my life I had long since forgotten; things that have made me who I am and formed many of my ideas and opinions.  It's important to stay in touch with who you are and why.  Thank goodness I have started working on my personal history and captured some very important events before they left my sometimes sketchy memory.  I have reached the time of life when I have become somewhat reflective about the things I learned from just living my life every day.  Some of it was wonderful beyond belief and others not so much but it did serve as learning and growing experiences.  Heavenly Father is wise in the things he asks us to do.  We can certainly benefit from taking those things seriously.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this Sister Wilson. I need to do better about keeping a journal. I love reading back through my old journals. I will have my life covered in photos, for sure, but writing about our lives is so important also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! "It's important to stay in touch with who you are and why"--yes. And I think journaling can also be good therapy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cheryl for inspiring me to tackle the bookshelf project I keep putting off. It is time now :)

    ReplyDelete