Sunday, May 6, 2012

Stake Conference

Posted by Telicia:

For the dear sisters who cannot or were unable to attend Stake Conference, I share a few thoughts for you.

The biggest news was that we released our Stake Presidency and sustained a new one.  Elder Pieper and Elder Reall were present as they were tasked with the responsibility to interview and extend the calling to the new stake president.  They emphasized they did not select the individual so much as they received confirmation of whom the Lord had chosen, whom the Lord had prepared, whom the Lord wanted to lead, bless and serve us.

Former:
Pres. Summers, Pres. Bowen, and Pres. Dean

Newly Sustained:
Pres. Stagg, Pres. Rock, and Pres. Palmer

I wish I could tell you more about them.  All I really know is both Rock (GJ 5) and Palmer (Fruita 3) were  Bishops (I believe) or at least in the Bishopric (Palmer).  I know President Palmer personally from my college days when he was an Accounting professor at Mesa State College (now CMU). 

I was able to attend both sessions.  I took many spiritual tidbits from the meeting, but I will only share a few.

Elder Reall touched on how to respond when we feel our prayers aren't being answered.  I know many of us have righteous desires of our heart that go unanswered each day, each month, each year.  Sisters, we should not feel discouraged.  To help us stay valiant we need to remember the feelings of our heart upon being converted to this gospel.  (Alma 5:26)  For some of us, this may mean our baptism day, special experiences in the temple, our time serving a mission, or coming back into the fold after getting off the path.  He asked us to pray to our Father in Heaven, not for the specific desire of our heart every time, but to inquire "What do I need to change, say, or do, to help accomplish the desire of my heart?"  "What can I do differently?"  I personally am a bit worried about what the answer might be if I rephrase the question!  

Elder Pieper  emphasized how grateful we should be for (1) our Stake, (2) for the Priesthood Keys we have in such close proximity and for (3) the freedom to worship how we please.  I was touched by the stories of individuals in other countries desperate for a breadcrumb that might point them in the direction of truth.  I felt humbled and embarrassed for days when I take my knowledge of truth and testimony for granted.  I know that my understanding of the Gospel, gives me strength and hope almost daily.  He also said we should remember All Hope comes from Christ (Ether 12: 3-4) and No Hope comes from Satan.  Our great gift of agency allows us to choose where and what we place our hope in.  He encouraged us that as we always Remember Him and as we partake of the Sacrament, our hope in Christ will increase.

I felt these comments were so beneficial for the trials and responsibilities we face in our lives.  I felt a renewed dedication to lengthen my stride in personal prayer; and to remember the hope I have in my Savior will sustain me as I use it and nurture it.  When the various winds of life are tossed at us, we need take action to make sure our sails are set the right way (Bro Manes).  We might feel like square pegs being smashed into round holes at times; we might feel inadequate; but please remember "there are no illegitimate children of God!"  (Sis Stagg)  As we realize every child of God matters and as we continue to love each other, we will come to know God (Sis Manes).  I guess that is the main point I got out of Conference....Yes the Church is here to move forward God's work and to bless lives; but is is also the best tool/resource by which we can love and serve each other; and in doing so, we will come to know God and someday rejoice together as sisters in His presence.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your summary. Good notes. Great Conference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really some things to think and ponder about. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete